e-Learning at Fergusson
New technologies continue to change the world in which we live, and they also provide many new and positive educational benefits for classroom instruction.
e-learning provides the following positive impacts:
- Improved motivation and engagement
- Greater independence and personalised learning
- Improved critical thinking
- Greater access to information, resources and experts
- Greater opportunities for collaboration and creation
It is pleasing to note that these positive impacts align with our school goals:
- To prepare our students to live and work successfully in the 21st Century
- To promote competency in and enthusiasm for Literacy and Numeracy
- To promote the importance of physical, social and emotional well-being
- To develop an understanding of the world and promote a commitment to our roles and responsibilities within it
- To provide opportunities for critical and creative thinking and the development of problem solving skills
See below for more information about Google Apps for Education and our Bring your own device policy.
Google Apps for Education
We use Google Apps for Education as a tool for our online learning.
This online learning platform provides a wealth of opportunities for students and teachers to interact online daily, in a safe, password protected environment.
- Teachers plan learning opportunities directly into this online environment
- Teachers interact with students online and give students feedback on their learning
- Students access and complete learning online at school and at home.
Bring Your Own Device (BYOD)
Fergusson Intermediate has a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) policy. We encourage students to bring their own device to school for the purpose of learning. Fergusson Intermediate continues to find ways to integrate digital technologies into teaching and learning and BYOD assists us to enable anytime, anywhere access to enhance teaching, learning, collaboration and communication.
Our BYOD initiative is not compulsory for students but gives those that bring the advantage of using a familiar, known device at home and at school. Fergusson Intermediate is committed to providing access to Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to all students on a shared basis.
Frequently asked questions:
All devices brought to school are the student’s responsibility. The insurance of the device is the parent’s responsibility. Parents need to ensure their policy covers theft/damage away from home.
Time of use
Students will not be able to use their device before school or during break times. The only exception to this rule will be when the students are using their device for the purpose of learning and are supervised by an adult. Teachers will provide a locked drawer for students to store their device when not in use. If a student does not use this option then the school holds no responsibility for any loss or damage that may occur.
Fergusson Intermediate is connected to the Network for Learning providing filtered, safe internet access for staff and students. We also use Google Highlights to encourage students to develop good internet habits.
Devices will be used to supplement students’ learning. We continue to find ways to integrate digital technologies into our teaching and learning programmes. It isn’t a case of giving the student access to technology and free reign to do whatever. Rather it is a case of structuring and providing learning opportunities which integrate the use of ICTs. It’s about personalising student learning and allowing students to choose the right tool for the task.
All BYOD devices will be on our student wireless network. The network for students will open at 8.30am and close at 3 pm daily, Monday – Friday.
Any device brought to school should be fully charged. We actively discourage charging at school to limit the potential danger of tripping on chords.